Custodianship / Guardianship

Permanent custodianship or guardianship of a child can be an alternative to adoption should the child’s case management provider determine that adoption does not best meet the child’s needs. Pursuing permanent custodianship or guardianship of a child in need of care allows the custodian/guardian to exercise all the rights and responsibilities of a parent. It also provides the child with greater assurance in the stability of the placement.


  • To meet requirements for permanent custodianship the family must have a written home assessment and pass KBI criminal background and Kansas Child Abuse Neglect Registry checks.
  • Some case management providers may request that the family participate in TIPS-MAPP class to ensure that the family fully understands the commitment to the child as well as the effects of separation, abuse and neglect.

Financial Assistance

While all custodians are expected to provide for the child’s education, support, medical care, and daily living costs, there may be additional financial support available to help with these expenses.

  • Custodians/Guardians may apply for Temporary Assistance to Families (TANF) as well as a medical card for the child by contacting DCF at 1.888.369.4777 or
  • The child may also be eligible for the Permanent Custodianship Subsidy (PCS) with a maximum monthly payment of $300. In order to be eligible the children must be age 14 and over, part of a sibling group with at least one child age 14 and over and are being placed together, or have other circumstances that make adoption not a reasonable permanent option. DCF must approve eligibility for children for whom other circumstances exist making adoption not a reasonable option.
  • Custodians/guardians may request to become the payee for benefits on behalf of the child. Permanent custodianship / guardianship eligibility is determined by the child’s case management provider and is determined on a case by case basis.

Please contact the child’s case management provider to determine if custodianship best meets the needs of the child and if financial assistance is available.